Wednesday, May 18, 2011

ADORE HIS SACRED NAME


11x14 oil on canvas
Well, I've had to pull from the archives for this category because my entire life right now is consumed with school and more school. This is one of my students, Madyson, signing the word adore from the hymn, Lift High the Cross. As we are introduced each month to a new hymn, one of our teachers teaches the children sign language. In addition to hearing their sweet voices, it is truly a beautiful thing to watch children "singing" with their hands.

I recently learned that this painting is one of three that has been accepted to hang in a museum in honor of one of my late professors, Elemore Morgan, Jr. To pay tribute to a most beloved mentor, teacher, and friend, the museum is honoring him through works of his former students and I am thrilled to be included in the year long show. Here is a video of this kind, soft spoken gentleman, speaking about his love for art and the rice fields he so loved to paint. Years ago when we were first married, my husband and I sat in one of Elemore's favorite rice fields for a portrait, his wedding present to us; wow!

Thanks for visiting and here's my blog, if you'd like to see more.

2 comments:

  1. This precious little girl has always been one of my favorites. Have just watched the video of your beloved teacher and friend. I see his influence in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just stunning, soulful. I am really taken with your work at both the school and your painting.

    ReplyDelete